Peptides are molecules, consisting of short chains of amino acids. These are both natural and synthetic substances. Peptides have many functions in the body. In bodybuilding, the most popular types of peptides are those that stimulate the production of human growth hormone (HGH). These peptides are used by bodybuilders and athletes to improve their physical performance.
Ghrelin (hunger hormone) group includes:
These peptides provoke highest concentration of HGH soon after insertion, regardless of time of use.
Growth hormone releasing hormone (GHRH) includes:
- Sermorelin (GRF 1-29)
- HGH Frag (176-191).
These peptides provide a cyclic concentration of HGH. When the body produces HGH naturally, the concentration is weak (due to Somatostatin). But during active natural secretion of growth hormone in the body, its concentration increases.
Other types of peptides:
- HGH stimulants
- TB-500 (healing, joint recovery)
- Prolonged peptides
- SARMs (selective androgen receptor modulator)
Benefits of peptides
Many people know (not just athletes) that there is such a thing like a synthetic human growth hormone. This substance is already a hormone sportsmen need to get a beautiful athletic shape. So what is the point of using peptides anyway? There are several reasons, why modern bodybuilders prefer using namely peptides, instead of synthetic HGH.
- The mechanism of action of peptides may vary, so bodybuilders can easily choose what concentration of HGH they need by choosing a certain type of peptide.
- Athletes can choose from large range of products, depending on how they affect hunger and metabolism.
- Peptides are much cheaper than HGH.
- Peptides break down rapidly, leaving no traces for doping control.
If there is any doubt on authenticity of peptides supplement, a person just needs to do a blood test for somatotropin level and see for himself.
According to clinical studies, human growth hormone stimulants can actually increase the secretion of growth hormone. However, the study, involving men and women (mostly over 50 years old) did not show any significant growth of lean muscles.
Solution for injection
You may prepare peptide injection using bacteriostatic water (contains benzyl alcohol), or usual water for injections. The only difference between them is the time of storage of a peptide solution. Bacteriostatic water allows to store it 2-5 days longer, than a regular water for injections.
Impermeability and light
Daylight and oxygen can destroy the peptide powder. Thus, it is recommended to keep the pack with peptide sealed. Otherwise, if the air comes in, your peptide supplements will begin slowly disintegrating.
The peptide powder must be stored in the dark place at temperature of 4°C (for 1-2 months maximum). This powder can be stored in the freezer (-18-20°C) for two years.
Once it is ready, a peptide solution can be stored at the temperature of 2-4°C (8°C maximum).
Making an injection solution
- Make sure the vial is of room temperature, before mixing the content with water for injections.
- Insert the liquid slowly, making sure it does not get directly into the powder, but drains along the wall of the vial.
- Do not shake the vial after inserting the liquid! The peptide powder will be completely dissolved after some time, if you live it in the fridge.
This solution is used for subcutaneous or intramuscular injection.
Camanni F, Ghigo E, Arvat E: Growth hormone-releasing peptides and their analogs. Front Neuroendocrinol 1998, 19(1):47-72
Zachwieja JJ, Yarasheski KE: Does growth hormone therapy in conjunction with resistance exercise increase muscle force production and muscle mass in men and women aged 60 years or older? Growth hormone-releasing peptides and their analogs. Phys Ther 1999, 79(1):76-82